Beets and Goat Cheese are two of my favorite foods to taste and savor. Beets are a great source of iron and goat cheese is a flavorful cheese that contains more protein than cow's milk. Put them together and you get a tasty "pink" combination that keeps you "in the pink." The menu at Rancho La Puerta serves plenty of both of these delectable foods. I've decided that I don't incorporate enough of either into my weekly meals so I'm planning to make this salad as soon as I get home.
Watermelon and Roasted Baby Beets Salad with Goat Cheese and Fennel
Start your pink menu with a pink and green salad. Thinly sliced watermelon makes a bed for rosy baby beets and tangy goat cheese. You’ll love the combination of flavors-sweet, juicy, earthy and creamy.
Makes 6 servings.
3 small golden beets 3 small red or candy stripe beets Six – 1 ½- inch thick wedges of watermelon ½ small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced 3 ounces sharp, crumbly goat or feta cheese Basil Balsamic Dressing (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the beets, and trim, but do not peel. Set the beets in a small roasting pan and bake until tender.
3. Cool the beets, peel, and cut into quarters or slices. Toss with a ¼ cup of the Basil Dressing and set aside to marinate.
4. Cut the rind from the watermelon slices and cut the watermelon into 1-inch pieces.
5. Top watermelon with beets and scatter the fennel over the salad. Crumble the goat cheese over the beets. Serve more Basil Dressing on the side.
Variation: a few tiny leaves of tat soi or arugula look pretty scattered over the salad.
Basil Balsamic Dressing
8 ounces freshly squeezed tangerine or orange juice 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1 small shallot, peeled and minced (1 tablespoon) 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (1 teaspoon) 1 tablespoon olive oil ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon sea salt 4 large leaves fresh basil, chopped (1 tablespoon) 6 sprigs cilantro, stemmed and chopped (1 tablespoon) cilantro 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped One hour before serving, whisk together all ingredients. Taste for salt.
Check out more delicious recipes from The Ranch.